Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gear and Crossing Over


Moving from Entertainment Lighting to Architectural has been an interesting transition. One of the things that you have to get used to almost immediately is what decisions become so important on the Architectural side, are hardly after thoughts on the theatrical side. In Architecture, details matter, really matter. From the lamp-type, to shielding and lensing right down to the color and shape on the flange, the level of detail in selection is incredibly important to pleasing your design team and clients.

Sometimes a project lends itself to more theatricality. For a nightclub project my office is working on, I got to pull out an old favorite tool of mine. The product is called NEOFLEX, I was first exposed to it on the set of Inside the Actor's Studio, lighting designer Jeff Burns used a continuous run of it to underlight the talent-platform. Needing a similar effect in the club I was able to pull it from the back of my mind, and it in all likely hood will end up accenting our club.

Of course that's not the only ghost of my lighting past that is making it into the night club. To light a performance stage some of the structural/decorative elements of the room, we are turning to an LED Wash Light solution. This one, I have used before in theatrical applications and on photo shoots. The SPECTRA PAR, by Altman lighting, is going to get employed in a more permanent way on this job.

This is the crossing over of entertainment and architectural lighting. And knowing enough about the tools that make them different and the same. When thinking about lighting the stage, I remembered back to the results I got with the Spectra lighting people....

It seemed like the right idea.

No comments: